Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Mountains and Molehills


Today I did something I thought I might never do.

I’ve done a lot of things I never thought I’d do, I’d never even considered I might have to do.  I’ve given myself over 1400 injections.  I’ve had a camera up my butt.  I’ve had two of my (non-essential) organs removed and I’ve had an artificial device to assist one installed.

But today, my unexpected deed is a little more, for lack of a better word, normal.  Today I graduated from college.

This is something that is a given for many people.  It’s a requirement, not an option.  They don’t really think about it.  They go to classes, graduate, continue on the paths of their lives.  It’s a big step, to be sure, but it’s not an unexpected one--just a normal part of life, a small hill to climb, a bump that starts to road to independence.

What most people see as a bump in the road, has seemed like a mountain that’s almost insurmountable to me.  I’ve spent 9 years in college.  At nearly 27, that’s more than a third of my life.  I struggled at first.  My health was holding me back.  It’s only been in the past few years that I’ve found my feet and been able to succeed in my classes.  Nevertheless, I’ve had to take things slowly.  Only two classes at a time during most semesters.  It’s all I can physically handle.  But with enough patience and perseverance, with enough time, even when your steps are small, you can climb a mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment